I can't believe it's already been a month since I wrote about living my ideal life! Here's a little progress for you, along with a fun little picture of how I made the ocean come to me this weekend!
- Exercise: I have consistently been doing yoga every week! It makes my heart full and my body happy:) Drew can notice the days when I've done yoga -- he says I "glow," and on the days I skip, I inevitably say my day wasn't a "great day," usually an "okay day." NEWSFLASH, KELLY! Want great days? Go to yoga!!!!!
- Tidy Home: Drew and I have kicked some serious butt in this arena this month! Almost all areas of our house (ALMOST) have been whipped into shape and "things" given "homes." We've gotten rid of a lot of things, stored a lot of things that weren't being used seasonally, and our walls aren't so bare anymore! It's baby steps, but this household is looking so much more homey lately!!!!!
- Beautiful Workspace: CHECKMATE. It's not PERFECT, but it is done for the most part! I have a working desk, shelves hung, a bookshelf to store things, compartments to store things... and soon (hopefully) I'll have a seating area, lamp, and workspace to do mock-ups galore! So exciting!
- Looking Presentable: This is pretty 50/50. I do a good job of dressing up for my days out and meetings with clients, but when I'm at home, it's usually comfy-wear for me! I have an unhealthy obsession with black knit leggings and my J Crew jersey knit cardigans... but working on it! :) At least it's still cute with boots or my new pink bow flats!
- Eating Healthy: This has been a fighting struggle. However, with Drew's stressful work life we've come to appreciate healthy habits like sleeping adequate hours, eating fresh foods (80/20 vegetarian!), and drinking beaucoups of water. Putting those into literal PRACTICE hasn't been perfect, but our goals for the week ahead are to eat more salads, drink more water, and go to bed as early as we can!
- Faith Building: Our small group leader said this a couple weeks back: "If you're not crossing paths with the devil on a daily basis, you're probably walking on the same side of the road beside him!" As much as that's a startling mental image, it's so true. Being a Christ follower is NOT easy. The farther you get in your walk with Him, the narrower the path gets. You have to make hard decisions and live contrary to your own selfish wants and sinful desires. The more I come to know Him, the more I see my sinful nature. It's all part of spiritual maturity, so I'm happy to be going this way and realizing these things early on... but I still struggle EVERY SINGLE DAY. Thank God (literally) for his unending grace. He is so good. So patient with me. Praise Him!!!!!
- Going Outside: After a few little updates out on our patio this weekend (photo below), we will be spending a HEFTY amount of time outside from now on!!!! I am LOVING the spring warmth and breezes lately! Bring on 60's and 70's!
- Undivided Husband Attention: Work in progress. I have finally figured out why "marriage is hard." I hated that phrase every time I heard it in the past. I was so determined to never think that marriage would be hard -- I LOVE my husband with my whole heart, he is my favorite person in the entire world, and I could not imagine life without him in any sense. Soul mate. Other half. He's all of that. But, turns out, the reason why "marriage is hard" has nothing to do with him whatsoever! It's hard because we as humans are, by nature, selfish. The hard part is getting past my own SELF and loving him first. I will do my best to love him first every single day of my life. Ahh, maturity!!!
- Preparing for Success: I am committed to doing The Challenge this week, this month. I'm reading Entreleadership by Dave Ramsey, going through the Sage Wedding Pros archives of phenomenal business advice, and doing everything I can to be the best wedding planner and designer I can humanly possibly be.
- Making Time to Dream: Last week I spent a lot of time garnering creativity. I dreamed, visualized, schemed, and challenged myself. YAY!!!!
- Cooking/Learning Domesticity: I made my first cobbler last week! It was blackberry-peach and absolutely delicious with some Blue Bell ice cream and homemade whipped cream on top. DECADENT. This week Drew and I are aiming to eat a LOT of salads and fresh produce! I'll be flipping through my Salads recipe book as I meal-plan and grocery shop this week!
SO! As I wrote last week, I was seriously having a beach craving, since we're living in landlocked Tennessee. One of Drew's and my dreams is to live in Charleston and have a beach house, or at least make our home a beach house of sorts (wherever we end up!). When we found our apartment last spring, one of the biggest draws for us was the sizable covered balcony that connected to the master bedroom and living room. When we finally moved in (in August) after we got married, we tried SO hard to find a nice patio set to put out there to no avail. We drove around our neighborhood seeing how others dressed up their balconies, went through a lot of Pinterest pages, and scoured every Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, Overstock.com, online sale, and DREAMED but couldn't DO... there was just nothing in stock once the fall hit. Finally in late October, my best friend and her husband made a daytrip to Atlanta's Ikea and texted us a picture of a gorgeous wooden patio set (table, bench, and two chairs). We LOVED it, they picked it up and delivered it to us, and at LAST we had a set! But then it was almost winter, Target no longer had string lights in stock, and we couldn't decide on what rug/cushions/etc we wanted... so we waited to actually dress it up until spring.
Spring finally came! We went to Target on Saturday, picked up two strands of string lights (to string al fresco-style above our table!) and gorgeous pale blue cushions & a beige-and-blue rug, and got some lovely matching curtains (for privacy) to hang on a shower rod we'd gotten as a wedding gift. By yesterday afternoon, we had brought our honeymoon to our back deck -- MEGASWOON!
Drew even rigged up our TV on a mount in our bedroom so that we can turn it to watch movies from the balcony!!!! I can't get over it. I need to just live outside from now on!
What are you doing to live your ideal life today?! Cheers, y'all!