Well, our first anniversary has come and gone! We toasted, watched our wedding film countless times, re-adorned our mantle with wedding photos (they'd been on a brief hiatus to make way for Easter/spring decorations) , hung up ginormous photos of ourselves above the couch (from six months before our wedding, our wedding, and six months after, respectively), ate beaucoups of scrumptious anniversary cake (I still have a toothache/stomachache from all the sugar!). We went out for dinner with a couple of friends Friday night, played it lowkey Saturday night, and Drew made me a four-course gourmet Mexican dinner with wine pairings on our actual anniversary (Sunday the 21st). Oh, and then Drew surprised me big-time by taking the day off Monday from work (since we only had evenings to spend together over the weekend -- I've been in all-day yoga teacher training on weekends and he works in Knoxville during the week)! Can we say spoiled?
Honestly, it's just insane to me that one year ago we were en route to Mexico, listening to "Mexico" by James Taylor on Drew's iPod, and smiling so widely our mouths hurt. I remember walking to Chipotle from our wedding night hotel the Sunday after our wedding in my hot yoga shorts and hitting up Target late that night to buy a camera to document our honeymoon. I remember it almost like yesterday. It's INSANE that within a year we moved in together for the first time, made our apartment a legit HOME, adopted another cat (how did I live without George?), Drew started a new career, I went to Making Things Happen and came back and quit my countless jobs, we hosted Thanksgiving for both our families in our tiny dining room, I started this business, I cut all my loooooong hair off, I started a consistent hot yoga practice (through the grace and provisions of God), we flew off to a romantic last-minute getaway in the Dominican Republic, Drew started working three hours away from home every week, and I began yoga teacher training. I don't think we had a CLUE what all this first year of marriage would entail. We definitely didn't know that we would spend a quarter of the year mostly apart. And there's no way we could have foreseen our Dominican trip (since we literally planned it 10 days before we left!).
God works in big ways over the course of one calendar year. He transformed so many aspects of our lives, taught us so much, challenged us tremendously, and taught us to appreciate one another even more. It always amazes me that I can love Drew more every day, but still I find myself doing just that. This year taught me a lot about my selfish ways, my bad habits, and that I'm a lot stronger and more capable than I thought. It taught me about Drew's priorities and love languages. How did I say "I love you" to Drew for our anniversary? I cleaned and organized our entire apartment (minus the upstairs -- whoops) to an insane degree. Replaced our broken vacuum belt, set a clear and beautiful table, put everything in its place (and designated new "places" to orphan things), reorganized our closet to make more sense and be less junky, donated a TON of clothes and accumulated clutter, deep-cleaned our bathrooms and kitchen, you get the picture. With his stressful job, the last thing he needs is a messy home environment, so I made sure to make it a lovely one for him. (And have every intention to maintain it henceforth!!!)
I can't even bring myself to project how I expect this year #2 to be. It is a vast 363 days of the unknown to me now!
Looking forward to the following possibilities for the upcoming year:
- Drew's and my birthdays! We're both August babies, so this is coming up soon!!! Last year we had JUST moved in, so we celebrated low-key with midnight ice cream and sprinkles. Our summer is stretched with travel and school, so this year will likely be chill, too. No definite plans in the works as of yet, but soon to come!
- My fabulous lineup of 2013-2014 weddings through KDE! So many exciting and stunning events to come!
- Visiting Charleston & Savannah with Drew in September!
- Our second married holidays -- Labor Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's Day, Easter, Memorial Day, Fourth of July! I hope to be better at decorating this year, now that our apartment "shell" is pretty established. I hope we have another real Christmas tree this year and actually send out Christmas cards. We dropped the ball on that one last year...
- Spending more undivided attention time with each other. We both got iPhones for the first time right after we got married last year, and unfortunately spent too much time playing games and focusing on social media rather than just being together. It's a lesson in staying present.
- Becoming official members of our church. This has been an ongoing goal/process, but Drew's work travel hit the "pause" button for us in May.
- Figuring out where on earth we will live next year! Our lease ends August 3, 2014. Where will we go? What will we do? What kind of place will it be? So much to be decided!
To my darling Andrew, happy anniversary. May this be the first of 100 years to come!