Somehow I managed to go on a three month hiatus from giving my ideal life updates. Boo to that! Here's what you missed, essentially... Drew traveling. Me yoga-ing. A fabulous Schermerhorn wedding. Traveling to our favorite city and swooning hardcore (and trying to figure out how to stay there and never come back). A lot of exercise, a little healthy eating, a lot of outdoorsing, some QT with the huz, and a mostly clean house. Here's the deets...
- Exercise: Confessional: I have slacked in this department. After three months of doing 7 - 11 hot yoga classes a week, as soon as I finished my yoga school my activity level dropped significantly. I plan on picking it back up now that I've almost finished teaching my community classes (they're free to the public! Come take them!), but it has been nice to just chill a little. Everything has seasons. I'm wrapping up my season of rest. :) (I did, however, get the chance to go on a brisk hike with a dear friend this morning! Yay for doing things out of the ordinary!)
- Tidy Home: Our apartment complex is repainting the exterior of our building, so we had to completely dissemble our balcony setup two weeks ago. The result? A catastrophic living room that has exploded with excess furniture (and palm trees and planters, etc.). Sad day. As soon as they finish painting the ONE wall they somehow FORGOT, we are going to be back in business and back to tidy home. Everything was perfect while we were away in Charleston! (Does anyone else love to have a super-tidy house to greet them upon their arrival home from traveling? It's so therapeutic.)
- Beautiful Workspace: My workspace has been varying between bars at Starbucks, our kitchen table, and our patio picnic table (which is displaced in front of our fireplace for the time being -- see above). I've been looking into possibly renting an actual office sometime in the near future (EXCITING!); unsure as to what the outcome of that will be, but we shall see.
- Looking Presentable: I have been wearing real people clothes, makeup, and jewelry on a daily basis. YAY! It seriously does impact my efficiency, motivation, and productivity.
- Eating Healthy: Drew and I have been eating a lot more salad and SLIGHTLY less ice cream as of late. Granted, I had two cupcakes yesterday... but besides that, we're doing much better. I have stocked the fridge with fresh cheese, greens, tomatoes, strawberries, planted two full herb planters in the living room windows, and have been perusing Pinterest for the past week or three for delicious and healthy soup recipes galore. Go fall!
- Faith Building: God is so good. I've been having amazing conversations with others, learning so much about myself and his path for me through yoga, seeing doors open and close in business... it's just been an incredible journey. I'm seeing more and more the value in memorizing scripture. Craving connection with Him. Always a good sign!
- Going Outside: It has been GLORIOUS outside lately! I've kept the windows open for the past two weeks. I worked outside for the majority of August and this month (temporarily delayed by the paint process) but plan to get out there ASAP once they're done. Wishing I could go on more walks -- Drew's CPA study schedule is putting a damper on my style!
- Undivided Husband Attention: As I mentioned above, Drew is in full force CPA study mode. He's been pacing the house with his flashcards, listening to and watching videos on his laptop, and reading those thick books like crazy. His first exam is November 2 (EVERYONE PRAY, PLEASE!)! CPA studying has taken the place of quality time... but not completely. I still get to see him (for which I am SO grateful) and I would much rather have him be in my presence studying than working four hours away.
- Preparing for Success: This has been getting better! I've slowly but surely been improving my package presentations, business operation files, and planning for success for 2014. I am planning to be very intentional and strategic about this new year, and planning out and implementing my fall internship has been a great learning experience (both for Abby and myself!). Streamlining my operations so someone could replace me if God forbid anything happen to me. This is totally the Girl Scout year of my life!
- Making Time to Dream: My dreams have been more on the side of practicality than creative lately, but I'm content with that. I halfheartedly attempted to start making plans for a mid-September inspiration shoot, but just didn't have the time or passion to make it happen this year. Perhaps once the winter gets slow (will that even happen? I have two weddings back-to-back in January!) I will feel more inclined to make styled shoots a priority. As for now, I'd prefer to take on Tara Guerard's policy of making every wedding look like a photo shoot!
- Cooking/Learning Domesticity: I made a HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL rendition of shrimp & grits last week! After eating so much scrumptious food in Charleston, this dish was beckoning for me to try it. Martha did not fail me! I'm making some shrimp and polenta tonight, and then it may be full-force fall soup time in the Dellinger casa. We shall see! Drew's CPA study schedule has meant that I'm a lot more culinarily responsible, so opportunities are limitless.
As far as living my legitimately "ideal life" is concerned, I stumbled across this gem of a questionnaire by life coach Tami Briggs last week. I think it is PERFECT for defining your actual ideal day-to-day and overall life -- as well as showing you how you can legitimately make it a reality. Why wait until retirement to enjoy your life? That's such a waste. As I always say, "I don't know if I'm even going to be ALIVE by then." Life TODAY is meant to enjoy that fancy bottle of champagne. Or wear that special sequined dress. Or eat that chocolate espresso torte. Or go on that romantic vacation.
I may be tweaking my "ideal life" categories next month to accommodate my answers to Tami's questionnaire!
Until then -- wishing you fresh basil and so much time outside enjoying the fall weather! Everyone have a glorious time until it gets too cold!!!!